Friday, January 6, 2012

The long drawn out story

Because I don't think I can tell any other kind!

So last night, it was around 11 or 11:30 I was ready to go to bed. Hubby was already asleep sawing logs and the kids were asleep in their beds.
I proceeded to get ready for bed. Contacts out, pajamas on, ready for bed. But. My feet were cold. I can't go to sleep with cold feet. I just can't. I find it really really hard.
So I grabbed a book and went out to read by the fire. I was doing great, getting warm and just about to get up and go to bed. When. I felt a sharp stinging sensation. You know the feeling when your clothing gets snagged on your skin? It doesn't happen very often but when it happens it hurts until you get it unsnagged. Well, when I moved the clothes around in that spot, the stinging didn't go away. Then I looked down and saw my worst nightmare.
Right next to my leg was a WASP. Moving around, looking a bit dazed.
Where did the wasp come from, you might ask.
Well, have you ever seen a stack of firewood in the summertime? Its a great place with little hidey holes and all sorts of nooks and crannies. Perfect place for a wasps nest, right?
Thats right. There was a wasps nest in our firewood this summer. Just found out about it.
When the weather goes cold, the wasps basically just stop moving. I don't know if its hibernating, but they certainly aren't dead. And you don't always notice them when you are grabbing firewood. This wasp had been on the log in the stack, got moved from the stack to the back porch stack, and then moved into the house. All on a log unnoticed. Needless to say I'll be checking logs more thoroughly before the enter the house.
Yes, this has happened before. But its been a few years. And I usually figure it out/hear the buzzing before anyone gets stung.
OUCH.
So anyway, after some baking soda and water paste, the stinging went away. But it took me about another hour and a half to stop trying to find the buzzing I swear I could hear, close all the kids doors (kids killed by wasp after being stung over and over! Yes I'm paranoid) and trying to come down from the adrenaline. I also managed to tear open a wound from where I sliced my finger open on a mandolin. Those babies are sharp! It happened Wednesday night and I was letting it air out for a few hours and it got scraped when I grabbed a wooden block to bludgeon the wasp to death. I felt like the walking wounded last night.

Anyway, just another adventure at our house!

4 comments:

  1. Hey fun to read about stories of life with that little one. :) hope that sting heals quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What little one are you talking about jenn? Are you talking about the wasp? I don't think we should elevate it to a little one. Megan...you are a great writer. I enjoyed reading about this. Your second to last sentence was a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happened to me once in the middle of winter, only it wasn't a wasp, it was just a plain old ordinary bumblebee. In my bedroom. I don't have a stove, so I don't know where he came from. I think he might have gotten himself stuck in the window and then came to life spontaneously. Is that possible?

    Glad you survived!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. Who knew you had to worry about wasps in the winter?

    ReplyDelete