Saturday, November 24, 2012

Meh

So this has been a very adventurous week.   The whole waking up once a night? Stopped as soon as I said anything.  But for good reason.  And I wonder if Baby N would be sleeping through the night if I didn't wake him up and feed him every time his brother woke up?

Anyway, the reason that we have been adventurous this week is that we woke up to a flood in our kids bathroom Monday morning. I had slept through my alarm clock (its becoming a regular thing these days) and the power had bumped so the kids alarm clock didn't go off (again, if its not the power its toddler E, and is becoming a regular thing) so we had about 5 minutes to get them off to school. Luckily they had woken up on their own and were dressed. We just had to rush through hair brushing, putting shoes on, getting lunches and backpacks, etc.  As A was going to brush her hair she told me something was wrong in the bathroom, and that there was water everywhere.

Yes, there was a pool in the bathroom and the carpet was sopping wet in the hallway.  I rushed the kids off to the bus and left the water.  It was a little crazy, but I knew that if I didn't at least take care of feeding the babies, feeding myself and Toddler E and getting the day started, that all I would be doing was adding to the chaos.

So after about 15-20 minutes of those chores, I got to work. First on the list was unclogging the toilet that had caused the whole mess.  Then I grabbed towels and began the process of clearing away the girls clothing and shoes from the floor that they had left from saturday night showers (yes they are supposed to clean that up after...) and began hauling to the washing machine, which had a very long day by the way.

I initially thought it was our kids fault.  But after cleaning (and cleaning!) a bunch of the water up, I realized that it wasn't.

After I had cleaned up the water and tried to soak as much from the carpet as I could, I grabbed a bucket and a mop and a sponge and a ton of pinesol (read somewhere that its the most effective cleaner when it comes to killing germs) and got to work. 

Somewhere in all of that I called my visiting teacher who luckily was on the list to come that morning and warned her about what was going on.  She clued me in to the fact that with a spill like this, that I might want to call in some professionals, and perhaps call my insurance. I was iffey on this, but then she said something about how would I ever be able to clean it all up and the germs and possible mold in the carpet that this could all cause....

During all of this I pieced together what had happened.  It looked like the toilet had clogged (C didn't realize this, she had put the lid down) and ran and ran.  I don't know for how long, but it wasn't running when I found it the next morning.

Anyway, after my V.T. came over and helped hold babies and care for toddler E, I called my insurance, they said call Paul Davis Restoration, and we arranged for Paul's guys to be there by noon.  Of course Hubby was at work during this and he received several phone calls, only one that was tear laden ( I was having a moment).

The restoration guys were there by about noon and after signing contract after contract (yes, I PROMISE I will pay you no matter what)  they got started.  They worked until later that night and for a few more hours the next day.

That was when the fans and dehumidifier started.  So loud that having a conversation was yelling and the TV had to be turned up really REALLY loud to watch a show.

We've had the fans since Tuesday (I think) and it is now Saturday.  We are down to 1 fan and the dehumidifier.  Its not as loud, but its still annoying.  a conversation is just in loud voices and I still can't get into the babies room while holding a baby.

The babies mattress is in the front room where the babies have been sleeping.  Everything is in an uproar and that is why schedules are all over the place.

Thanksgiving dinner was loud, but yummy.  This has definitely been a crazy holiday.   Yes, we still did our black friday shopping.

The result of the flood is that insurance is going to cover about 9-10 k worth of damage/repair/replacement.  We will be getting new carpet in the hallway and exercise room and possibly the babies room.  The family room is getting new also since there is no 'natural break' such as a door.  Linoleum will be replaced.   I'm interested to hear what will happen with the vanity since it looked bad when I was in there cleaning.  The backsplash tile will also need to be replaced since the guys doing the work broke nearly all of the tiles when they were removing them.  That one actually makes me happy.  Word to anyone out there building a house. don't choose a porous tile for a bathroom vanity. Or a kitchen cupboard for that matter. Have you ever tried to remove flour or toothpaste from porous tile?

Babies crying. got to go.

Edited to add  how glad I am that we called insurance and Paul Davis Restoration.  Initially I thought this was a small flood.  After several days of fans and dehumidifier, and around 2 days of a fan directly on it, the subfloor behind the toilet (toilet is removed) is still not dry.  I am very glad that this is being taken care of properly.  And did I mention that several feet of venting under the house had to be removed because of  'black water' being in it?. Very VERY glad for insurance and companies that know how to fix this right.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing in the end that you had Paul Davis come out!! Hope it all dries up soon and life can get back to its normal noise level. :)

    ReplyDelete