Sunday, May 12, 2013

A whole glorious week

(now edited. I now know I shouldn't post at 4am :) )

That's about how long Quinten slept through the night.  Then we took everyone to church last Sunday after missing a couple of weeks because our kids had colds and we didn't want to share.

By Monday afternoon Ned was running a high fever, and then it was Quinten's turn. After a day or so of that we got the cough.  Ned does the open mouth cough that must involve an irresistible tickle because he doesn't seem to cough anything up. But he sneezes lots of green phlegm.

The coughing began waking up our newly sleep trained Quinten who refused ( crying for so so long) to go back to sleep.  So yesterday I gave in and after trying several approaches and ended up nursing him back to sleep.  And then it happened again today. So sleep training.  Yeah that was for nothing.

Why am I surprised?  And who in my ward o needs to be educated as to when not to bring your kid to nursery? I would like to find them and tell them what I think of that.

We have been fighting colds since the first week in April.  With Ned coughing, he has pretty much ensured the rest of us have the cold too.  There have been days this past week I have felt so sprayed with saliva all I want is a shower.  How do you teach a toddler how to cough in his elbow?

Wow I'm tired and cranky.

In other news these boys are the most mobile babies at the earliest age we've ever had.  Quinten has basically taught himself the crawling position and gets into it and rocks and is so cute. It's only a matter of time before he is off and crawling.  Nolan rolls everywhere he wants to go.  They are both motivated by toys, Ned, and love it when all the family is home to watch.

Ned has discovered a pair of shoes he can put on himself and loves to go outside.  He is all boy and loves balls and cars.  And water.  He an his sisters have a water obsession.  Sprinklers and hoses are the fave right now.  Thank goodness the ditch doesn't seem to fascinate them.

The girls are in soccer now and doing great.  They are both feeling successful at it.  Cecilee wants to try out for select, which is a more elite group. But for over $ 400 for a season, I don't see that happening. We are debating if we should let her try out for the experience though.

Our elementary school is being closed this year due to budget shortfalls.  The school has been around for decades and its hard to watch it being closed due to majorly mismanaged money.  We're talking many millions of dollars.  And they announced another 1.2 million gone last week.  Not cool.

We attempted for the 5th year to get into the 2, now 3 charter schools within 1 mile of our home.  Another year of not getting in.  I'm not sure I understand the whole charter thing. I have to help fund them, but can't get in. Hmmmm.

So I'm considering all of my options.  Go to the elementary school we're being sent to, online charter school, Homeschool.  Yes I'm considering homeschool.

Homeschool is a lot different animal than it once was.  More online resources, etc.  anyway, the decision is a hard one.  I'll discuss more another time.  For now, Quinten is finally asleep again.  Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for all the colds! That's terrible. It's a choice between seeing other people and being healthy sometimes.

    Exciting about the boys moving more! I love seeing kids figure it out.

    Bummer about your school. I don't get charter schools either. And homeschooling is not the same as it used to be. I no longer think people are crazy for doing it. It's not my cup of tea, though! :) Unless I didn't have an option with which I was happy. Good luck deciding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the sick thing, I have one perfectly healthy child, who picked up the nasty Norovirus (vomiting) virus, then got gastroenteritis and is in her 4th month of upset stomach. I never knew how fortunate I was to have a completely healthy child until she wasn't.

    I just wanted to drop a line about homeschooling. I started out as against homeschooling as I could possibly be, then circumstances changes dramatically over a short period of time and I saw no other options but to homeschool. I searched and found a great homeschool curriculum online, (Time4Learning is our core curriculum still) and jumped into homeschooling with both feet. I can't imagine any other way of educating my daughter now. We are into our 7th year of homeschooling and I cannot imagine my daughter being where she is educationally if she had remained in public school. Please consider carefully and seek the guidance to do the right thing (whatever that might be for your family). If you decide to homeschool, know that there are many homeschoolers out there and we love to share our knowledge.
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete