Thursday, September 11, 2014

So its been a while

It has been a while since I posted. Mostly because I didn't feel like talking about some intense things that happened in my life this summer.

Anyhow, I need to blog because life keeps happening and I need to keep a record of it.

The twins turned 2 a few days ago.  Where did those 2 years go? Gone in a flash! 

Quinten is a thumb sucker. That one is totally my fault. See, somewhere in the twins first year I noticed that I was always giving attention to Quinten. He insisted on it.  Nolan was quiet and always fine and as a result didn't get as much attention. So one day I decided to switch it up. I held Nolan for much of the day and made Quinten get down and go sit with Daddy.  I did this for about a day. It didn't go over well with Quinten and as a result he started to self soothe with his thumb.

What I learned from all of this?  Nolan could care less. he is just a cool calm kid. Happy to do his own thing, occasional attention from Mom is fine.  Quinten is more needy.  He needs lots of assurance and loves and cuddles.  He wants to sit with me all the time.

Different personalities. Lots to learn as a mom of twins.  I guess I can feel the guilt every time we have an orthodontist appointment later in life.

Quinten is also one who has a smile on his face all the time.  Loves to climb and be active.

They both love to swing on the swingset.  They swing on their tummies.  Their are only 2 swings (and 2 additional baby swings) and they get fought over with Ned there also, but there is always something else to do outside, so fights don't last long.

All 3 boys love to play in the garden.  They love to dig in the dirt, splash in any puddles, and be like mom. That last one is ok for the most part until they decide they need  to help me harvest.   We lose a lot of peppers that way.

Ned was helping me pull out old corn stalks the other day to feed to the cows and we got matching paper type cuts (what do you call them when they are from corn leafs? Corn cuts?)  He loved how happy this made the cows. They love those stalks!

Speaking of the cows, a cow licked my hand the other day.  I think I may be getting to friendly with the black cow the girls call skunk face.  Its got a weird black and white design on its face.  Anyway, we have a peach tree in the pasture that hangs over the fence from the neighbors.  They don't ever harvest it and the fruit just drops.  I started out by throwing some to the cows and they would eat them.  But then the black cow started following me over there and I was basically just giving him some (the other cow didn't care).  And then I noticed he would get really close to me before nervously jumping away.  so the other day I held out a peach to him and he would have eaten it out of my hand. Except I jumped when that gross tongue touched my hand.  Yuck! 

Nolan is our singer.  He also is our talker.  Its all mumbled at this point for the most part but very definite.  If you want him to start singing, just belt out "Let it Go!" (from Frozen) and he will take it from there,.  Unfortunately he only knows that one line. But he is so cute.

Ned also likes to sing and will go around singing "The best 2 years! The best 2 years!" which is a movie we watch on Sundays.  Today he was singing that and I remembered that on Sunday he was singing Follow the Prophet after Nursery. So I started singing that and he joined right in.  To my surprise Nolan joined in. Very mumbly, but singing.  So then a round of Let it go was called for so that Nolan could sing some actual words.  It was all very cute. 

The boys (all 3) love going outside and I don't know what we are going to do when it gets cold.  The mere mention of outside has all 3 racing for the back door and Nolan saying "Side!!".   They also love getting their shoes on so they can go.  We may have to visit Grandma a lot this winter because taking all 3 of them anywhere by myself is nearly impossible.  Maybe we can talk Grandma into visiting story time at the library with us.

For the boys birthday we had Thai food for dinner and then the girls and Dad raced off to soccer practice.  After they came home we had a yellow cake (almond flavored) with lemon curd filling and cream cheese frosting. It was very good.  A little home made vanilla frosting and yum!  They got some new toys that light up and sing, and they were in heaven.  They got a few flashlights that make noise and some new toy cars.  Ned has already claimed many of the toys as his own and there have been lots of grabbing and pulling away.  Luckily 2 days later it seems to have calmed down.

Cecilee has started middle school. She loves it and enjoys her friends.  I think she enjoys the responsibility and is always talking about tests and which subjects she has and her locker and all that sort of stuff.  I enjoy the access to the library. She has been checking out books here and there for me. I'm in heaven.  We are not in a library district so don't have access unless we go with Grandma. And that is fine and fun, but it can be complicated to try and do anything with boys along.   I enjoy YA fantasy (E.D. Baker, Jessica Day George, etc) and they have lots of it there!

Mia is enjoying her new teacher. He has made her a team leader which is great because she has to lead a team and encourage them to do good and turn in work, etc. Which means she is more aware of the importance of doing that herself. YAY!  Its been a great motivation. She is doing well.

I get to bring both of them to the bus stop each morning and wait with them. to many crazies out there to do anything else.  It has us up early since the middle school bus arrives an hour+ before the elementary school bus, but its a good time to have one on one time with my girls.

Milton and I doing well.  We have been trying to keep up with these girls and boys.  Soccer practice, the primary program, birthdays, school.  Some day I've got to figure out how to keep up. Right now I'm taking it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment