Sunday, April 7, 2013

The fox

Things are always exciting around here.  Now we have a fox. He has so far feasted on 7 of our chicks, a rooster and at least 3 full grown hens. We have resorted to putting the remaining hens in one small coop.  I feel bad for them. But rather crowded than dead, right?  We are working on some modifications to another coop to make it safe.   The coop that had a cow walk through the run several times a few years ago however needs to many repairs.

I'm working on getting a new coop out there.  but its hard to make yourself feel ok about spending a grand on a building for chickens.  maybe we won't..

The boys are trying to kill me by getting up multiple times a night. Throw in Ned getting a cold and also getting up multiple times a night and voila! You have a recipe for zombie mom.  The new rule at my house is that if you are sick at least give me a warning.  For Ned's birthday someone brought us a lovely cold.  Stayed away from the babies but not Ned. "I wouldn't want to give the twins a cold!" they say as they hug and kiss Ned.  Yeah. Thanks for that.  We just love the cold you brought us.  sorry...I'm just tired.

The girls have started soccer again for the spring season.  Hubby is their coach. So for the next 6-7 weeks I'm a soccer widow. 4 hours of practice per week and another 2 hours or so on Saturday.  Its hard, but the girls deserve to have fun.  I just hope the boys sleep more the next few weeks.

I've had my first experience using silk fiber.  It was very fun. I already need more! I need more silk pods! I need enough so that I have a really really good reason to card wool. pulling out my drum carder is a lot of work anymore.  But oh! The possibilities.

I'm taking a cheese making class...eventually.  Its been fun to learn about cheese making.  I find that while you have young kids at home who are a lot of work its a good idea to have a hobby that you find interesting and that gives you a sense of accomplishment.  It helps me through all the endless diaper changes, loads of laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc that is like groundhog day. The same thing over and over every day!  I currently have a few weeks old parmesan in the cheese fridge waiting for some cheese wax!

Hubby is helping me out a lot these days.  His responsibility at night is Ned.  He has to work, so he takes Ned, who usually doesn't get up.  Well, Thursday night Ned was in the worst part of the cold.   He didn't feel well and was up on and off all night. Hubby had a half day Friday so took full responsibility.  He was up with Ned several times and ended up in the family room on a couch with him and the humidifier.  Turned out Ned did best sleeping at an angle with his head above his body on pillows. 

Anyway as I was in and out with twins all night (3 times with a brutal 12:30 wake up) he really saw what my nights are like.  Add to that the fact that he woke up a zombie because of Ned and he seems to really understand a lot more why I'm always tired.  He has been a lot more understanding and helpful.  He was a good help before, but now he seems to be even more so.

 






2 comments:

  1. It's good to see life through your eyes. It gets better! My boys are pretty great sleepers, nap together and all now. I don't feel like a zombie mom ALL the time now, at least. :) You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks AnnaMarie, but I would have to return the compliment. You manage to take care of your boys AND blog a lot AND decorate AND scrapbook AND a million other things.

    ReplyDelete