Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My easy peasy 2 needle knit socks


So this post is dedicated to my easy peasy 2 needle knitted socks.  I came up with the pattern myself, having been long intimidated by sock patterns calling for, we'll, more than 2 needles.

I am an elementary knitter, but an avid crochet-er.  Frankly knitting intimidates me.  But I love the stretchiness of it and how it's less bulky than crochet. And I had a desire to learn to knit socks.

So I bought a lions brand learn to knit kit and one scarf later i knew a basic stitch and did a cable on it. Cool huh? Well I thought so anyway.  I still wanted to learn socks though and didn't want to use more than 2 needles.  So I bought a knitting machine off of Craigslist.  And then I learned how to make some socks on it in about an hour.  And then I had a toddler around and then twins and getting out the machine seemed like a lot of work.  So I've adapted my pattern for 2 needles.

I used size 3 needles and have size 10 feet.  So I'll try and give pointers on size as I go.

My 2 needle sock pattern
Cast on 30 stitches
Knit 1 pearl 1 and repeat for the whole row and the next 9 rows for a total of 10 rows.
(Knit the entire next row and pearl the entire row after that) 10 times.
Congratulations, you have just made 1/2 of the cuff of your sock.
Now for the heel. You are going to start skipping stitches.
--
Skip first stitch on each end of your row.  Knit a row and then pearl a row . ( a total of 28 stitches)
Skip the first and 2nd stitch on each end of your row. Knit a row and pearl a row ( a total of 26 stitches)
Skip the first, second, and third stitches on each end of your row . Knit a row and pearl a row (24
stitches)

Keep doing this process until you have skipped 7 stitches (16 stitches total knitted on this row) . Now reverse the process and add one stitch ( starting with the most recent skipped stitches) . Just like before, this time adding the stitches ( so add a stitch to each side, and then knit a row and pearl a row)
---

Yay! You have a heel!

Now on to the foot

Knit one row and pearl a row.  Repeat until the sock is the correct length to fit from the heel to the base of the toe.

 Now I count the 2 rows (1 knit and 1 pearl) as one .

This is where you can tweak the size.  For my size 10 feet, I do 30 rows. For an adult size 6 I did 20 rows.  Just fit them to your feet.

-----
Now for the toe. It's kind of like the heel but quicker.
Skip the first stitch, knit the rest of the row except for the last stitch which you will skip. (28 stitches)
Skip the first and second stitch, pearl the rest of the row, except for the last 2 stitches which you will skip stitch.(26 stitches)
Skip the first 3 stitches, knit the rest of the row except for the last 3 stitches which you will also skip(24 stitches)
Skip the first 4 stitches, pearl the rest of the row except for the last 4 stitches which you will skip.(22 stitches)
Keep doing this until you have skipped a total of 7 stitches on both sides.
Now do the whole process in reverse, adding the most recent skipped stitches first.

Congrats! Now you have a toe!

---
Ok, next you need to knit the top of your sock.  Knit 1 row and pearl one row just like before, the same number of times ( remember? For my size 10 feet it was 30 rows?)

Ok, now you need to (knit one row, pearl one row)10 times for the other half of the cuff of your sock.

Now you need to (knit 1 stitch pearl 1 stitch), repeat to the end of the row and for the next 9 rows .  

You will want to end with a stretchy bind off. I found one I liked on YouTube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHItYwr1us

Now you just need to stitch the edges together and you have a pretty nifty sock!

I would like to do a youtube video of this eventually to make it easier to under stand. In the meantime, leave a comment with questions and I will try and answer.

2 comments:

  1. The iPad hates me tonight. Will edit a few things on this pattern tomorrow on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. edited! Should be correct and easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete